Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Doctor's Orders

**There is a bit of back story here, but it is necessary so you realize why I am doing what I am doing for the next 14 days. Bear with me, please.**

So, I didn't tell many folks, but I had a little lump (benign tumor) in my right eye, and I had to have it removed last Friday morning. Nothing major, no exterior stitches or anything like that. No heavy anesthesia, just "Twilight" as they called it (yes, this did inspire lovely, drugged images of a sparkly Edward Cullen... really, can you blame me?). No rehab to speak of. Just healing. I figured I'd be back on feet in a day or two. Three at the most. The Pre-Op notes instructed me to stay off my feet for 48 hours following surgery and then to take it very easy for the next two weeks... Right... Me? Take it easy!? Have you ever sat in a room with me and NOT seen me get up 50 times for random things? When I first started my job at Carillon, other folks in the office figured I was either on speed or abnormally bubbly and energetic. I just don't sit still. At all. I even thrash in my sleep. And I don't enjoy having to ask other people to do things for me. Or inconveniencing other folks. I generally think that if I cannot get it myself, I don't need it. It's a complex. Nurtured by my Jewish mother of a Dad. But, alas, that's another story for another time.

So, my cousin was nice enough to take on the task of driving me to surgery at the break of dawn, and then to watch over me for the days following. Its a good thing too, because she is probably the only person who can successfully nag me and practically scare me into sitting still. (Thanks Jenn! I heart you.) I spent Friday on Xanax, Tylenol with Codeine, with a cold washcloth covering my eye in a pirate like manner watching classic chick flicks. My cousin joined me, while enjoying Xanax and wine. It was like stoned-prescription bonding time... Which, I have concluded, is the best kind of bonding time. Anyways, Friday was a blur, Saturday came and went in a similar fashion (only with more gals joining our 'recovery' group and bloody marys-of which I abstained, thankyouverymuch), and Sunday started with me tossing my cookies due to a killer migraine. The solution: more drugs and sleep (this is what the doctor suggested). This brings us to Monday. The swelling was gone, the bruising was minimal, and I was bored out of my mind. Honestly, there is only so much time you can waste watching HBO On Demand... Side note: I am addicted to "Big Love." And seriously crushing on the dynamic duo of Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J on NCIS: LA... So... Oh. right. Sorry. Sidetracked... So, I walked with Rodeo to the end of our driveway to check the mail. I unloaded the dishwasher. I cleaned the kitchen and reloaded the dishwasher. I put a load of towels in the washing machine. I had to sit down because my eye was so swollen I couldn't see and the pain was excruciating. Needless to say, they weren't over exaggerating about the taking it easy bit. 30 minutes of housework really could kick my ass. It WAS difficult to pick up a basket full of towels. I spent the rest of the day curled on the couch with Rodeo, yearning to be outside in the lovely fall weather. Yearning to do something, anything. Thank God it was Gossip Girl/DWTS Night (i.e. the one and only night I embrace the act of plopping down in front of the tube and completely immersing myself in nothing). If you know S, B and Little J, you know what I am talking about....

I spent Tuesday home from work as well, but was able to harness my energy into journaling, card writing, and working on a book. Writing one - not reading one. And I figured if I really can't do anything for 2 weeks, I should use this time for something Starfishy. I know, it took me a long time to get to the point... Sorry.

I figure if I can't do any exercise, I better be keeping a close watch on what goes into the body for two weeks. Which brings me to my 2 week system cleanse. I will be going vegetarian. Well, technically Ovo-Lacto, since I plan on eating cottage cheese, milk and eggs occasionally. I have outlined the main points below...

I figure, if I live by these rules for 14 days, maybe this doctor ordered sedentary-ism won't wreak havoc on my body. Plus, I will be hopefully be feeling better and as such, less inclined to gorge myself on Thanksgiving. Hopefully. No promises there. Ideally, I would like to live these 'rules' everyday, not just for 2 weeks. The only change would be the #2. I would like to enjoy a lean filet a couple times a month, chicken twice a week and make my main source of protein seafood. Right now, I am jonesing for sea scallops in a white wine caper reduction. But, that will have to wait.

I started the plan this morning, had my Living Fuel smoothie with a banana, a cup of blueberries, and 1/2 cup greek yogurt. I just ate some carrots for a snack, so I am startin' strong baby! I made some organic butternut squash soup yesterday with squash,onions, and apples from my granny's farm in Central Washington for my work lunches this week - I will post my recipe later this evening. It's a great seasonal dish, and uses very little butter, no cream, minimal sugar, no flour, and most of the ingredients are staples that are found in everyone's pantry. Plus, squash is super cheap at the grocery store right now, so its hard to go wrong with butternut squash soup on a chilly fall day.

How about you? If you can't get out an get moving, is here something you can do to tweak your diet and compensate for the lack of calories? Easy calorie savers can be found in what you drink. Skip the Mocha in the morning and just drink drip coffee. Or even easier, learn to like your coffee sans cream and sugar. If you enjoy an adult beverage after work, switch the vodka tonics for vodka sodas with lime. Club soda has zero calories, zero carbs, and zero sodium. Tonic, on the other hand, has 90 calories, 23 carbs, and 35 mg of sodium per serving. Add that to the 82 calories per shot of vodka, and three drinks become similar to consuming a king size Milky Way. Yowza.
Happy Hour doesn't seem so happy anymore, does it?
Have a great Wednesday people. I will be going home early to ice my eye and pop some pills.


No comments:

Post a Comment