Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Note to Self: Sleep More & Eat Less

In reading the MSN article Ally referenced, the '10 Reasons you are not losing weight,' I realized I am guilty of #1 (not getting enough sleep) and #4 (logging extra miles to compensate for bad diet).

I average 5 - 6 hours of sleep a night. This is due to a couple of things . . .
  1. I tackle too many things in a day and never seem to be ready to call it quits when evening time hits.
  2. Because I go-go-go, it takes me a while to wind down every night, and I usually have a tough time falling asleep. Sometimes I will lie in bed for 2 hours before I actually drift off... very frustrating.
  3. I have started taking the bus, which means my booty needs to be out of bed by the ungodly hour of 5:15, at the latest, in order to take Rodeo for an adequate morning juant, sit down to eat breakfast, shower, make myself pretty for work, and make it to the bus stop by 7:00 a.m. This has been a challenge, to say the least. Family and past roommates will vouch for the fact that I am a 8:00 riser. Its still dark at 5:15 for crying out loud!! BUT, I literally save $5/day by riding the bus, so this early wake up call is totally worth it.

Secondly, I guilty of thoughtless snacking. I have no problem adding more activity to my day, however, I do have a problem with eating. For the most part, I eat very healthy. Lots of salmon, halibut, cod, and sea bass (thank you Dad for catching all these yummy fishies!) with chicken and other seafood thrown in. I rarely eat red meat any more, and when I do, its usually a lean cut like sirloin (this is also cheaper! Yay!). From my years in the restaurant industry, I love pretty food. I know it sounds weird, but we would always say that "people eat with their eyes." This means food should not only taste good, but also look appealing, and for me that means lots o' colors. I cook with spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and green beans at least once a day. I like bright colorful food. My main meals are healthful... but it is the snacking and the sweets that get me off track. That is why I have found sparkpeople.com so helpful - they add up what you consume, and there is no way to avoid it.

And, a recipe for you all...

This is one of my favorite dinners - I have had this two nights in a row -
Delish! Its my own healthy take on a traditionally butter-rich dish. Super
colorful!

Halibut Piccatta with Fresh Veggies

1 Halibut fillet

1 cup green beans

1 large tomato

1 lemon

2 tbsp capers

2 tbsp Olive Oil

~ Start by slicing the tomato into thick (approx 1") slices. Spray cookie sheet and arrange tomatoes on sheet. Brush with Olive Oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook about 7 minutes at 350 degrees. The tomatoes will still be firm.

~ Boil water (the green beans should steam for about 7 minutes)

~ Heat olive oil over medium heat in pan. Cook halibut 2 minutes per side.

~ Squeeze juice of 1 lemon over halibut in pan. Add capers to pan. Let cook together for 3 - 4 minutes with the halibut.

~ Arrange tomato slices on plate, place green beans on top of them, then place halibut fillet on green beans. Drizzle remaining juice and capers over the halibut and vegetables.

VOILA! You have a healthy fun meal in less than 15 minutes! Try it tonight!

2 comments:

  1. I must say girls, this blog is starting to get pretty damb good. I see some real potential. I'll just suggest to both of you to stick to it. The more you cut the sweets the less appealing they become. After going without soda or candy for about a year now it almost too rich for me to enjoy now... Like anything these things become habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the blog. I have problems with getting enough sleep as well. I am a night person by nature, plus it is hard for me to wind down and turn my brain off enough to fall asleep....I agree....it can be VERY frustrating. It's amazing what a good night sleep can do!

    ReplyDelete